The City of Lewiston has added short-term disability insurance as a paid benefit for all full-time employees working 30 hours or more per week and enrolled in the City Medical Benefit Plan. The general provisions of this policy allow for an employee to receive 60% of their base wage from Sun Life and the added benefit of supplementing this disability payment with the employee's accrued leave.
Some of the points to note:
The application packet has three separate statements which must be completed - one from the employee, one from the employer and one from the attending physician. Carefully read the instructions to be sure no sections have been overlooked. In addition, please sign page 9 - Medical Release. All application materials must be submitted to Human Resources for processing.
- This is a City paid benefit at no cost to the employee
- Eligibility begins 1st calendar day after injury or 8th calendar day after illness
- Weekly benefit is 60% of base wage up to $1,400 per week
- Employee may supplement disability earnings with up to 40% of accrued leave
- Note - Regular deductions will be taken from this supplemental payment
- Limited taxes are taken from the Sun Life payment
- Application may be submitted in advance for scheduled procedures
Sun Life Short-term Disability Application