The City Of Lewiston

Go To Search
Idaho's Only Seaport
Cemetery History
Brief Cemetery History taken from the "Teller" an early Lewiston newspaper

January 13, 1887
City council is petitioned to move the cemetery from Fifth Street. (Present day location of Pioneer Park)

May 26, 1887
Suggested that the cemetery be moved to East Lewiston

November 1, 1888
New Cemetery now Platted (area now known as Normal Hill Cemetery)

December 27, 1888
Charles, son of Lot Wiggin, was the first burial in the new cemetery

March 28, 1889
Moving of 5th Street Cemetery

Normal Hill Cemetery Div 3, 1914
Normal Hill Cemetery, Division 3
Year 1914

April 18, 1889
Need for more removals from 5th Street Cemetery.

July 18, 1889
W.B. Cooper is busy laying water pipe from Snake River up to new cemetery.


Mausoleum being built in
Normal Hill Cemetery

December 5, 1889
Well dug at cemetery

December 25, 1890
Reburials being made from 5th Street Cemetery

March 3, 1892
City makes a deal to pipe water to cemetery