Normal Hill Cemetery is a municipal cemetery operated by the City of Lewiston. A commission consisting of seven citizens makes recommendations to the City Council regarding the affairs of the cemetery.
In 1999, the Cemetery Commission and the Urban Forestry Commission were merged. Citizen volunteers are appointed to the commission for three-year terms by the Mayor and confirmed by City Council. Applications for those interested in commission are available from the City Clerk, 1134 F Street.
Normal Hill Cemetery takes its name from the Normal Hill neighborhood, which in turn is named for Lewiston State Normal School. In the late 1800s many teachers' colleges had normal or normal school as part of their name.
Normal Hill Cemetery is located between 12th Avenue and 16th Avenue and between 4th Street and 7th Street. Normal Hill Cemetery covers more than 40 acres.
The Normal Hill Cemetery has been a City Cemetery for over 120 years.
There are nearly 17,000 people buried in Normal Hill Cemetery.
The cemetery has its own irrigation well and has more than 800 sprinkler heads that are set to automatically water the grass nightly during the watering season.
Watering the cemetery takes roughly four hours each night.
The first burial at Normal Hill was Charles Wiggin on November 14, 1888. Location – Division IOOF, Row 37.
Oldest known grave is Rebecca Newell in 1867. Her remains were moved to Normal Hill from the old cemetery at Pioneer Park. Location – Division IOOF, Row 38.
The earliest known birth date is that of Moses Grostein in 1795. Location – Division 3, Row 75.
The oldest person at time of death was Ida Alligier who lived to be 110 years old. Location Division 4, Row 6.
Walt Disney’s mother and father-in-law, Jeanette Bounds and Willard Bounds are buried here. Location - Division 3, Row 54.
The Blue Ash tree, Fraxinus quadrangulata, located in the Masonic Division near 7th Street and 15th Avenue is listed as a state record tree for its size. It is believed to have been planted in 1907.
The first Mayor of Lewiston is buried here, Madison A. Kelley in 1903. Location - Division KP, Row 54.