Nez Perce County Prosecutor's Office Policies Regarding NSF Checks
It is the desire of the Nez Perce County Prosecutor's Office that the residents of Nez Perce County have reasonable opportunities to recover monies owing due to the return of non-sufficient funds checks. There are many remedies available at law, with prosecution being one.
Alternatives to Prosecution
Nez Perce County prosecutor's Office will send a letter to the check writer of the NSF check regardless of whether the check meets the standards for prosecution.
- Small claims court information and forms
- Small claims information may be obtained at the Nez Perce County Courthouse, 2nd Floor.
- Credit Bureau
- Private Counsel
- Monies may be recovered through a private cause of action. An attorney may inform you of your available legal remedies in a private action.
The prosecution guidelines of Nez Perce County for NSF checks shall be:
Nez Perce County Prosecutor will pursue criminal charges for NSF checks which exceed $300 per individual check, or $1,000 cumulative providing:
- person obtaining the check requested and recorded a picture identification from the check writer, and
- person accepting the check is available to testify regarding the taking of identification and accepting the check.
These guidelines may not apply to forgeries, or checks passed as part of a larger scheme to defraud.