Lewiston is one of few communities in the State of Idaho to operate under the Council/Manager form of government, in accordance with the provisions of Idaho Code, Section 50-811. The City Manager is appointed by the City Council solely on the basis of the Manager’s administrative qualifications and abilities. The City Manager is a trained public management professional, educated and well versed in local government and municipal operations. The City Manager position is intended to be apolitical so that the Manager may objectively discharge his or her duties on behalf of the residents and businesses in the City of Lewiston. The specific duties of the City Manager are established by ordinance and include the following:
- Have the general control and supervision over all business of the City.
- See that the provisions of the Code and the ordinances and policies of the City, and the laws of the State pertaining to the City, are faithfully executed.
- Attend all meetings of the City Council, unless excused therefrom by the City Council.
- Recommend for adoption to the Council such measures as he may deem necessary or expedient.
- Appoint or remove all department heads, except the City Attorney, subject to approval of the Council, supervise and control all employees of the City subject to any applicable personnel regulations and make regular reports to the Council concerning actions he has taken with respect to employees of the City.
- Supervise in general all departments of the City, except the City Attorney.
- Keep the Council fully advised of the financial condition of the City and its future needs, and prepare and submit to the Council such other reports as may be required by the Council, or as he may deem advisable.
- Prepare and submit to the Council the preliminary budget for each fiscal year, and administer the budget after its adoption.
- Investigate all complaints in relation to matters concerning the administration of the government of the City and concerning the service maintained by the public utilities of the City.
- Exercise general supervision over all public buildings, public parks, public streets, and other public properties which are under the jurisdiction and control of the City.
- Serve as ex-officio member of such boards and commissions of the City as may be determined by the Council, with the right to participate in all deliberations, but without vote.
- Devote his full time to the duties and interests of the City.
- Exercise all powers delegated to the Mayor by Idaho Code, Section 50-606.
- Perform such other duties as the Council may establish by ordinance, resolution or motion.
The City Manager’s office is also directly responsible for supervising and administering the functions of the City Clerk’s office.