Solicitor / Peddler
Solicitor Peddler License
Purpose and Definition
The licensing of all solicitors and peddlers within the City of Lewiston is necessary for the purpose of protecting and providing services to the citizens and businesses of the City.
“Solicitor” means any individual, whether a resident of the city or not, who travels by foot, wagon, automobile, motor truck or any other type of conveyance; who goes from place to place, from house to house, or from street to street; and, who takes or attempts to take orders for the sale of goods, wares, merchandise, personal property or personal services of any nature for future delivery. “Peddler” means the same, except that the offering for sale of goods or services is immediate.
A solicitor/peddler license is required when any person is:
Selling any goods or performing any services from place to place, or door to door;
Soliciting for the sale of goods or services, taking or attempting to take orders for future delivery.
How to Apply
You may obtain a license application from the Community Development Department, Business Licensing Office, 215 “D” Street, Lewiston, ID 83501, (208) 746-7363.
1. Complete application. *do not sign*
2. Take application to the Lewiston Police Department, 1224 “F” Street.
3. Sign application; signature to be witnessed by a police department staff person.
4. Police Department approval required.
5. Food Products Only: Take your application to the North Central District Health Department, 215 10th Street. Health Department approval required.
6. Return application to Community Development, 215 “D” Street.
7. Pay reception/cashier fee. See Fee Schedule for fee.
Return application and receipt to Business Licensing Office for issuance of a license.
The license application process can be completed within a few hours or less from the time you complete the application to the time you receive your license.