Community Development Block Grant (CDBG)
The Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) program is authorized under Title I of the Housing and Community Development Act of 1974, as amended. The Entitlement Program is the portion of the CDBG program that provides categorical block grant funds to metropolitan cities and urban counties. The Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) awards CDBG grants to entitlement communities to carry out affordable housing and community development activities directed toward revitalizing neighborhoods, economic development, and providing improved community facilities and services.
The City of Lewiston, Idaho receives CDBG Entitlement funds annually and, as the responsible entity, applies for, administers, monitors and reports according to federal regulations.
The primary objective of the Community Development Block Grant program is "the development of viable urban communities by providing decent housing in a suitable living environment and expanding economic opportunities, principally for persons of low and moderate income" (Housing and Community Development Act of 1974, as amended).
In order to qualify for CDBG funding, all projects and activities must:
- Principally benefit low and moderate income persons (80% of Area Median Income)
- Aid in the prevention or elimination of slums and blight
- Meet other Community Development needs having a particular urgency (flood, disaster, etc.)
CDBG rules and regulations specify eligible and ineligible activities. Eligible activities include:
- Acquisition of property
- Clearance, demolition, and removal
- Public facilities and improvements
- Rehabilitation and preservation activities
- Economic Development
- Economic opportunities for low and very low income persons
- Removal of architectural barriers
- Public services (limited to 15% of annual allocation)
- Planning and Administration (limited to 20% of annual allocation)
Please contact Tanya Brocke to discuss your project's eligibility.
Program Year Timeline
The CDBG program year for the City of Lewiston's CDBG program runs from August 1 - July 31.