How do I pay or dispute a parking ticket?

Parking tickets can be paid in person at City Hall at the Customer Service/Utility Billing desk or over the phone with a credit card by calling 208-746-3671 ext. 0.

If you would like to dispute a parking ticket, please fill out the Parking Ticket Dispute form.

Show All Answers

1. How do I report overgrown weeds?
2. How do I report city street, alley, crosswalk, and traffic issues?
3. Who do I contact with animal control concerns?
4. How do I pay or dispute a parking ticket?
5. How do I make a public records request?
6. How do I report Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA) issues or concerns?
7. How do I report an abandoned/junk/inoperable vehicle?
8. How do I report an RV/Travel Trailer issue?
9. How do I report a street light that is out?
10. How do I report suspected drug/narcotics activity?
11. How do I report issues with water service?
12. Where do I go to ask questions about or pay my utility bill?
13. How do I report broken/damaged playground equipment?
14. How do I report concerns with buildings or unsafe structures?
15. Where do I report issues with the Cemetery?
16. Where can I get more information about City Code?
17. How do I report a fallen branches or other tree issues?
18. Who do I contact about a broken garbage/recycling/yard waste cart?
19. Who do I contact if my garbage/recycling/yard waste cart wasn't picked up/emptied?
20. How can I request an ambulance for standby at a location or event?
21. How do I request a fire extinguisher class or other safety education?
22. How do I request juvenile firesetter counseling?
23. How can I request a Fire Department vehicle for display?
24. How do I request a tour of the Police or Fire department?
25. How do I report a missing or damaged traffic sign?
26. How do I make a street sweeping request?
27. How do I report clogged storm drains and other related issues?